Intergrated Food Security Programmes
Caritas- Homabay, Agriculture and Environment Program works with specific target populations that live in the rural areas and derive their livelihoods, directly or indirectly from Agriculture.
This is in accordance with its strategic issues which highlight key objectives aiming at improving food security & nutrition and income within the diocese. The sector has five main domains:
- Development, implementation and coordination projects.
- Provision of agricultural extension services for promotion of technology delivery through Capacity building with special target of the Agro Enterprise Development.
- Improving food security among small scale farmers through Crop and livestock development.
- Promotion, management and conservation of the natural resource base for Marketing and economic empowerment.
- Mainstreaming issue - HIV&AIDS and Environmental management
The program addresses income diversification for the vulnerable groups (PLHIV, OVCs, child-headed households) arising from the impacts of HIV and AIDS and the resultant problems which are issues of global concern and Homa Bay Diocese as well. The AEP empowers the local groups to manage their natural and human resources in a more sustainable manner to supplement their basic requirements. This process includes substantial capacity building for promotion of Agro-Enterprise and income diversification. It will specifically target the poor and the very poor households.
We are currently working closely with two partners;
- CAFOD - supporting integrated Food Security Project as well as poultry production project for the affected and infected persons.
- McKnight foundation through Agriss – facilitating Farmer Research Networks
Improving food security among small scale farmers through Crop and livestock development.
Crops:- IFSP has fully installed two site with irrigation systems for horticultural production to improve the diets and incomes of the post - test group members. Individuals benefiting from the gardens are individuals who already know and have accepted their status. Good nutrition is an important component of a comprehensive care and treatment program for individuals living positive, particularly those using Antiretroviral (ARV) drugs.
LivestockThe Agriculture and Environment sector – poultry project has mobilised support groups to form Poultry Enterprise Group (PEG). PEG are expected to raise large number of chicken for improved nutrition, increased income, create employment and utilization of poultry bi products i.e. manure for improvement of soil fertility.
Promotion, management and conservation of the natural resource base for Marketing and economic empowerment .
Establishment and Strengthening of tree nurseries
Provision of agricultural extension services for promotion of technology delivery through Capacity building with special target of the Agro Enterprise Development Groups .
The program has been involved in capacity building activities aiming at Reducing Community Vulnerability to HIV&AIDs through agro-enterprise development. Various groups trained on group management techniques, leadership and governance, advocacy, farmer research methods and value addition.